Helen's Bay railway station
Helen's Bay railway station serves Helen's Bay as well as the nearby village of Crawfordsburn in the townland of Ballygrot, County Down, Northern Ireland.[3] HistoryThe station in the grand Scottish Baronial style, built in 1863, was the creation of Lord Dufferin, through whose land the line was laid. His family had their own private entrance and waiting room. The architect was Benjamin Ferrey. The next station on the line towards Bangor used to be Crawfordsburn, but this was closed in 1997. On the 22nd of July, 1922, two brothers, who were well known in Helen's Bay were killed at the station whilst waiting on a train to Belfast. Their bodies were placed in the old station house.[4] Another person was killed at the station in 2004.[5] ServiceMondays to Saturdays there is a half-hourly westbound service to Titanic Quarter, Belfast Grand Central in one direction, and a half-hourly eastbound service to Bangor West and Bangor in the other. Extra services operate at peak times, and the service is reduced to hourly operation in the evenings. Certain peak-time express trains will pass through Helen's Bay station without stopping. On Sundays, there is an hourly service in each direction. ReferencesWikimedia Commons has media related to Helen's Bay railway station.
Bibliography
|