The Dreikönigsgymnasium ("Tricoronatum", meaning "Three Kings School", sometimes referred to in English as the College of the Three Crowns) is a regular public Gymnasium located in Cologne, Germany. Founded in 1450 by the city of Cologne,[1] it is the oldest school in Cologne and one of the oldest in Germany.[citation needed] In 1556 it was transferred to Jesuit control through the son of the mayor, who had become a Jesuit.[2] The Jesuits continued to run the school until 1778, when control was restored to the city after the papal suppression of the Jesuits of 1773.[1]